Lentil Soup with Kale and Sausage
- 2 Tblsp coconut oil
- 1 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage, castings removed
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 stems fresh rosemary
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into small dice
- 2 tblsp tomato paste
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- A few gratings fresh nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dry white or red wine
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1-1/4 brown lentils
- Shaved Pecorino cheese, for serving
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until browned
- Add garlic, bay leaves, rosemary, carrots, onions and potatoes and season with salt and pepper
- Cook until the vegetables are soft, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the kale and nutmeg.
- Add the wine to deglaze the pot, stirring and scraping up any browned bits from the bottom.
- Stir in the chicken stock and 2 cups water and bring to boil (for thicker soup, use 2 cups less liquid).